Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dreaming In A Third World Country


Seeing the Belonging script made into a feature film seems simple enough- doesn’t it? Oh, believe me, I thought so too.
But there are some dreams you may have and then there are certain dreams you are not expected- permitted- to have when you live in my world. Ever felt like that?
“You should have made it into a cartoon...”
“It would make a good cartoon...”
“Cartoon...”
“Cartoon...”
“Cartoo...”
What happened to the remarks that affirmed what I had believed from the very first with the story of Kuku flowing through my head onto paper in ‘cartoon motion’?
Clearly they were just things people said; (a) as they were the right things to say- and/or
(b) they were not really expecting me to follow through (on the idea).
Because when I made known and acted on my intention of seeing ‘Belonging’ made into a feature film it brought on this series of flip-side reactions;
“This is Zimbabwe!”
“You are in Zimbabwe!”
It is. I am. And so? Should those be grounds on which a dream cannot be had?
Incredibly- yes! “Maybe if you were in the States...” “Or if this were South Africa...”
But I am not. It is not.  I am here- in Zimbabwe- and I burn with a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment