Sunday, November 14, 2010

A 2010 Golden Baobab Prize Winner: Mirirai Moyo

In my Inbox this week was an e-mail notifying me that my story- Diki, the Little Earthworm had been chosen as a 2010 winner of the Golden Baobab Prize.
I wrote a story that I would have wanted someone to tell me when I was a child- that said it is okay to be different (in all the ways that we will be different) and that even when you are different, you are still special.
I felt- and will always feel- very strongly about the subject. And I had visions for the story. The battle was in finding a publisher who appreciated the essence of the idea enough to publish it.
I am grateful to the Golden Baobab team for giving African writers this opportunity for recognition and promotion of their efforts. And it is truly an honour to have had my story chosen as a winner of this prize.
And the award coming at this stage in my ongoing quest to have my screenplay version of ‘Belonging’ made into an animated feature film really can be taken as a valuable reminder, by myself-  anyone in need of it, to keep dreaming- keep believing- and keep trying...
See Golden Baobab 2010 Winners

No comments:

Post a Comment